Geeks, techies and web-lovers will gather in Yorkshire later this month for a one day digital make-over on behalf of Heart Research UK.
We Love The Web, a digital marketing agency based in Hebden Bridge, has come up with a clever way to support us at Heart Research UK.
Rather than raising money in the traditional sense, We Love The Web is gathering together regional experts in the fields of IT, digital media and technology for a Hack Day.
We at Heart research have created a wish list of digital marketing problems we need help with – and the experts at the Hack Day will spend 500 minutes devising solutions and creating tools which we can use for social media, blogs, apps, marketing and videos.
Frank Fenten, managing director of We Love The Web, came up with the idea to celebrate his company’s 10th anniversary and 500th project.
The Hack Day is on Saturday, November 30th from 10am to 6.30pm at Hebden Bridge Town Hall. There will be 10 teams, to signify the 10th anniversary of We Love The Web, who will work for 500 minutes on the projects.
Frank said: “We wanted to do something special to commemorate our 10th birthday, something a bit more worthwhile than a massive booze-up.
“We’re working with Heart Research UK because, although it’s a national charity, they are based nearby in Leeds and it’s good to support a local organisation. Well, that and because when we were discussing which charity to support, I glanced up at our logo and couldn’t help but notice that it’s a massive heart. It seemed an appropriate fit.
“Times are hard at the moment and it can be a challenge raising funds. We thought creatively about ways to help without just asking people for money. So, we’re harnessing the skills and expertise of the North’s brilliant digital sector, asking people for their knowledge and time to develop digital marketing tools that could be invaluable to Heart Research UK. Digital marketing can be complicated, so we will simplify it for Heart Research UK and build them something of lasting value.
“We are still looking for people to join in on the tech day so if you can spare a few hours and are willing to share your skills for a good cause, we would love to hear from you.”
We have identified a number of digital and technical issues we need help with. These include:
- Creating GPS based ‘challenge trackers’ using fitbit or mobile phones for use in sporting challenges: so people can track and upload how many million steps they’ve taken for our charity, how many miles run, feet climbed, pedals pushed.
- Totalisers for tracking how much money each campaign has raised.
- Facebook apps. pulling in the latest news and photos from the Heart Research UK website.
- Setting up blogs where “heart champions” can showcase their fundraising
- Patient diaries so volunteers can see just how their work is helping real people.
- Flickr/Instagram/maps/calendar mash-ups to show where and when people are raising money for heart research.
- Community-based event support tool so people can support each other in advance of the event and then share the glory after
- Creating a mobile-friendly site or app to make it easier for people to fundraise, interact and donate
- Maps/event/calendar tools so that people can see events in their area.
- Creating a game to show people how to keep a healthy heart
- ‘Social media strategy in a day’ giving advice on making the most of You Tube channels, Pinterest, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter and other low-cost/no-cost tools that allow Heart Research UK to get the word out
Each of the ten teams will take a project and at the end of the day, we will have a bank of tools and information at its disposal.
Barbara Harpham, National Director of Heart Research UK, said: “As soon as we heard about this really different way of supporting us from We Love The Web, we loved the idea, because it’s an ideal way for two Yorkshire success stories to get together to help in the prevention, treatment and cure of heart disease.
“It’s a very generous offer which will bring us bang up to date with the newest ways of telling people about Heart Research UK and how they can get involved.”
Heart Research UK
Heart Research UK is a visionary charity that funds ground-breaking medical research into the prevention, treatment and cure of heart disease.
Having funded six of the first eight successful UK heart transplants, Heart Research UK has been helping hearts by supporting clinical and surgical projects and young researchers on their first steps into research. In the last 10 years the charity has funded over £10.6m on research projects in hospitals and universities across the UK as well as £1.2m on community-based lifestyle projects that aim to prevent or reduce the risks of heart disease. What’s raised locally is spent locally.
About We Love The Web
We Love the Web is a digital marketing agency based in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire. Last year the company recorded 17% growth. We Love the Web is passionate about planning and research which helps to identify customers’ business goals and needs. In addition to websites, We Love the Web’s marketing and technical expertise result in beautifully executed campaigns on behalf of a range of clients.